Spring is almost here and even though the sun is shining when you look out the window, a few more snow storms are expected to fall and when everything looks better, you realize winter is still here!
The top recommended cars to drive in snow are: Audi A8/S8, Subaru Outback 3.6 R Limited and as expected Volvo XC90.
Since most of us don’t drive one of the above cars, here are a few tips for safer driving the remaining weeks of Winter:
- 1. In an extreme storm don’t drive unless it’s absolutely necessary.
- 2. Wait until the snow plows and sanding trucks have had time to work.
- 3. Decrease your speed and allow at least 3 car lengths between the car in front of you.
- 4. Brake gently, you will loose control if your wheels lock up.
- 5. Down shift to control your speed instead of breaking.
- 6. If stuck rock gently back and forth, don’t spin your wheels.
- 7. Keep warm clothes in your vehicle throughout the winter in case of emergency.
- 8. If stranded in a remote area, do not leave your car unless you know where you are. Your vehicle will protect you from the elements.
- 9. Always keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full, you never know when you’ll need extra gas.
- 10. Pack a “survival” kit should you be stranded and always be sure you have a shovel, anti-freeze, jumper cables and other emergency equipment.